I’ve always thought that rice paper rolls were hard to make and time-consuming but fortunately I realized they are quite simple to make and delicious! I’ve made rice paper rolls several times now because I love them so much! What I like about them is that they are fresh and can be made with whatever vegetables/herbs you have on hand.
Ingredients for the rolls:
- rice paper wraps (I bought mine from the Asian aisle of my regular grocery store, Loblaws)
- Rice Noodles
- Firm Tofu
- Zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- Bell Pepper, sliced lengthwise
Ingredients for the spicy peanut sauce:
- 1/2 cup organic peanut butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon siracha
- 2 clove garlic
- Ginger (to taste)
One at a time, submerge the rice paper wraps in a bowl of hot water until softened (approximately 1 minute). Lay wrapper on flat surface and start adding ingredients to centre of wrap. Once all ingredients have been added to the wrap, you can begin the delicate folding process (i’m still mastering that part!).
For the sauce, mix all ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth. Serve with rice paper roll.
Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends and family celebrating!
If you are looking for a delicious, simple, and healthy last-minute recipe, look no further! This recipe is also friendly to most diets including vegan and dairy-free and works well with any fruit you have on hand. I used apples this time because the apple tree in my backyard did really well this season and I have more apples than I know what to do with!! This recipe is based on one from the book “Vegan Pie in the Sky” by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.
- 4 pounds of apples ( I used Golden Delicious), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 Farenheit. Pour Filling ingredients into an ungreased 11 X 13 inch baking dish and ensure apples are coated well.
- In another bowl, combine the topping ingredients and mix well.
- Pour crisp topping over the apples.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
Mixing the filling
Dessert is served!