This recipe is a family favourite that my Granny used to make. She never had the recipe written out and followed it strictly from memory. With some persistance my Dad was able to figure out the list of ingredients to these perfect Irish scones. Luckily for you I am going to share it! This recipe yields approx. 14 scones so you will probably want to double or triple it!
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (check here if you need a substitute)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- Mix the dry ingredients together while sifting the flour.
- Mix butter into dry ingredients.
- Add egg to buttermilk and beat together.
- Make a hole in centre of dry ingredients and gradually add liquid ingredients.
- Roll out dough on floured surface. (Note: Dough should not too be too wet or too dry. Don’t overwork the dough.)
- Cut dough with circular cutter or form desired round or triangle shapes.
- Place on floured baking sheet and put in pre-heated oven at 350F.
- Bake until golden on bottom.