Kale, Kale, the superfood! When you find yourself with a bunch of kale and in need of a recipe, look no further! These kale cups are a perfect option for a vegetarian breakfast/brunch/lunch! I have adapted this recipe from Muffin Tin Mania.
- 4 cups kale, ribs removed and roughly chopped
- 4 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup Havarti cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Chop kale and spinach finely. Add kale/spinach to a large bowl along with cottage cheese, havarti cheese, eggs, garlic, lemon zest, chili flakes and hemp hearts. Mix well until all the cottage cheese has blended in with the kale and spinach. Divide among 8-10 medium-sized muffin cups or ramekins and bake 20 minutes. Let cool several minutes.
- Replace cottage cheese with ricotta cheese
- Use any combination of spinach, Swiss chard and kale
Who doesn’t love General Tso? Typically, you see general tso’s as a chicken dish listed on menus and in cookbooks; however, for those who are vegetarian the Tofu General Tso is a great alternative. I found this easy and scrumptious recipe for Tofu General Tso adapted from That’s So Vegan (thanks for the recipe!).
1 package firm tofu
1 tbsp cornstarch
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp siracha (or to taste)
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 400º and grease baking sheet. Press the tofu between paper towels to get rid of excess water and cut into small cubes. Toss the cubes with a tablespoon of cornstarch and place them on the sheet to bake for about 20-25 minutes.
2. Heat the garlic over low heat in a saucepan. After a minute, add in the other ingredients (except for the cornstarch mixture) and stir for about 3 minutes. Mix in the cornstarch and whisk until thickened. Remove from heat.
3. Once tofu is cooked, place cubes in bowl and mix in the sauce. Serve with brown rice and broccoli.